Clockwork Angel Countdown

My Blog List

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Dark and Hollow Places

by



The Dark and Hollow Places is the Final book in the Forest of Hands and Teeth story. The world has been taken over by Zombies, called Mudo or the Unconsecrated in this world. The return has happened and all those not infected live in fear of the infected. This story is the story of Annah, the long lost sister of Gabry (Abigail). She is a girl scared both on the outside and on the inside. She meets Catcher, the only human known to be Immune to this plaque. They form a bond, both of them seeing themselves as less than they are and together they are able to realize their strengths. The Book like those before it had a sense of Sadness and fear that makes these books unique. What I love about all of Carrie Ryan's books is not just that I love Zombies or things based in the Dark but that these books show true Human Nature. How would we really react if suddenly the person next to you turned into a flesh devouring monster and you had to run for your life. How would that change as human beings? Would we be like Catcher and risk our own lives everyday to provide and help those we could or would we be like the Recruiters and become nothing more than Killers with minds? It is an interesting thing to think about. I love these books, even if you don't like horror i would read these books. Carrie Ryan is amazing

3 comments:

  1. "What I love about all of Carrie Ryan's books is not just that I love Zombies or things based in the Dark but that these books show true Human Nature."

    Exactly! Zombies are only a backdrop to get at the larger issues. I really enjoy how thoughtful her stories are, how much her characters have to face.

    Great review!

    Btw, we are four YA writers and avid readers, and we just started a new blog to talk about YA literature. It's not so much book reviews as talking about different issues, trends, etc. We would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear LoonyMoonyy:

    I'm an author with a new collection of YA short stories, Ugly To Start With (West Virginia University Press).

    Will you please consider reviewing it?

    I've been writing and publishing for twenty years--more than one hundred stories and two novels--and Ugly To Start With is my best work.

    My first novel, The Night I Freed John Brown (Penguin), won The Paterson Prize for Fiction and was recommended by USA Today.

    My short stories have appeared in more than seventy-five literary journals, including North American Review, The Kenyon Review, Alaska Quarterly Review, and The Chattahoochee Review. Twice I have been nominated for The Pushcart Prize. "The Scratchboard Project" received an honorable mention in The Best American Short Stories 2007.

    If you write me back at johnmcummings@aol.com, I’ll send you a PDF of my collection for your consideration.

    At this point, my small publisher is out of available review copies, so I hope and politely ask that you consider the PDF.

    I would be very grateful.

    Thank you so much.

    John Michael Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free Work at Home Job (11558)
    Work at home completing simple surveys from home. No
    registration fees. Join today For more information
    visit: (http://www.eazy2earn.com)

    ReplyDelete